Sunday, November 9, 2008

My Homemade Birthday Cake - with buttercream frosting recipe


I recently celebrated my birthday with my family. I made two cakes, one white one chocolate, with buttercream icing. All of my family loves buttercream frosting like the bakeries use on their cakes. My family and I thought it tasted like the buttercream icing from the bakeries. I am so happy that I know how to make Buttercream Icing!
I decorated the cake myself with the cake decorating kit that Mom bought for me. I think I did pretty well on the roses, then being the first time I have ever made them. I was a little sloppy on my writing..... I need learn to make the roses taller, and I also need to get better at putting the roses on the the cake more neatly. Writing on cakes is tricky.
Here is the recipe for the Buttercream Icing for you all:
ButterCream Icing
1 cup solid vegetable shortening
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 cups sifted confectioner's sugar (powered sugar)
2 tablespoons milk
Cream shortening with electric mixer. Add vanilla. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk and beat at meduim speed until light and fluffy. Makes three cups.
Keep icing covered with a damp cloth until ready to use, this will keep the icing from drying out. For best results, keep icing bowl in the refridgerator when not in use. Refriderate in an airtight container, this recipe can be stored for 2 weeks. Rewhip before using.
For frosting the cake, you will need it more creamy.
Belle

No comments: